Academy for Children
Pre-K to 6th Grade Education
Academy for Children Teaching Staff
We are fortunate to have a teaching staff that is passionate about your child and their learning. Each of our teachers is supported as they stay up-to-date with the latest research and best practices in Early Childhood Education. For professional development regarding dual-language education we partner with consultant Lillian Duran, Ph.D. We also work with community organizations such as The Family Conservancy and the United Way to provide staff professional opportunities through conferences, seminars, workshops, classes, and feedback sessions. These trainings prepare them to work effectively with the children and families who access our educational services.
Academy for Children Director
Director of Academy – Geralyn Sosinski, M.A.
Ms. Geralyn is the Director of Academy. She has a B.S. in Elementary Education from the University of Kansas, an Infant -Toddler Certificate from the Erickson Institute, and a M.A. in Early Childhood Studies. She brings over 25 years of experience working with children birth through 5th grade.
Director of Curriculum & Instruction – Amanda Vega-Mavec, Ed.D.
Dr. Vega oversees the academic programming at AFC. She has a B.A. in Spanish and Sociology from Wellesley College, a M.Ed. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages from Boston University, and an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Kansas. She has experiences as a teacher at various grade levels, as well as administrative experience at public, charter, and Catholic schools.
Early Childhood Mental Health Specialist – Janet Hernandez, MSW, LMSW
Janet M. Hernández has a B.A in Social Work from the Metropolitan University Ana G. Méndez, Puerto Rico, a M.A. in Clinical Social Work from University of New England, Maine and also owns a Master Level Clinical Social work dual license in Missouri and Kansas (LMSW). She is also in the process of becoming a licensed Clinical level Social Worker (LCSW) in Kansas. She has experience as a Bilingual Clinical Therapist and Social Worker facilitating Office-Based, Home-Based and School- Based therapy/social work services to a wide range population (children, adolescents, young adults, adults and older adults).
- Katherine Angel Floater/Substitute email@example.com
- Erica Britt English Language Model Crickets (3-4 yr. olds) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandra Elizondo Spanish Language Model Ladybugs (2.5 – 3 yr. olds) email@example.com
- Liliana Esteban Spanish Language Model Crickets (3-4 yr. olds) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brenette Gardner Floater/Substitute/School Age Summer Enrichment Lead Teacher email@example.com
- Virginia (Vickie) Gordillo Spanish Language Model Dragonflies (Preschool) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Janet Hernandez, MSW, LMSW Early Childhood Mental Health Specialist email@example.com
- Irma Lara Floater/Substitute firstname.lastname@example.org
- Raylynn Laster English Language Model Dragonflies (Preschool) email@example.com
- Veronica Luna Spanish Language Model Butterflies (Preschool) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theresa Owens English Language Model Butterflies (Preschool) email@example.com
- Alicia Rocha Chef firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geralyn Sosinski Dir. of Academy for Children email@example.com
- Amanda Vega-Mavec, Ed.D. Dir. of Curriculum & Instruction firstname.lastname@example.org