Jobs at El Centro
Community Organizer- Wyandotte County
|FLSA Status: Non Exempt||Reports to: Executive Director|
|Geographical area: Wyandotte County
|Date: October 2017|
Summary: The Community Organizer will advance three primary goals: 1) the development and execution of winnable issue campaigns that are rooted in the experience of immigrant, Latino/Hispanic and low income communities, 2) the building of a grassroots and stakeholder base of people in Wyandotte County who advance in their leadership pathway and secure gains for racial, health and wealth equity and opportunity, and 3) integrate civic engagement with focus on the new American electorate and comprehensive Immigration Reform ( including but not limited to Clean DreamACT, voter registration and citizenship for long term power building in marginalized neighborhoods.
The position is grant funded and will be based in Wyandotte County, reporting to El Centro Executive Director and CPO in close collaboration with community organizers in Johnson and Shawnee Counties.
|1||Organize small and large-scale informational and educational sessions for grassroots community and civic leaders, immigrant residents, El Centro clients, schools and staff on key campaign issues affecting the community, including but not limited to DACA, know your rights, immigration, and voter registration.|
|2||Identify, develop, and train leaders to build powerful community and campaign teams.|
|3||Ensure El Centro develops and approves an annual Legislative agenda. Lead successful organizing campaigns that are rooted from community interests and organizational legislative priorities.|
|4||Design and implement civic engagement initiatives that last beyond any one voter cycle and grow the rising American electorate including voter registration, door to door education and GOTV rallies.|
|Execute clinics for citizenship, Power of attorney or other opportunities that arise and voter registration that assist with application and financial barriers that prevent those from utilize these programs.|
|Develop and maintain strong communication within and outside of organization including inclusive language translation at community events and training.|
|Carefully track individual campaign supporters and grassroots leaders through regular metrics reports and weekly data updates. Collect the Stories of our issues, people and fight!|
|8||Work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations, other community organizers, allies and partners|
|9||Develop tools for coalition and partner organizations to utilize in support of community interest and needs|
The candidate must be Spanish/English bilingual and should have a bachelor degree or advanced education and 2 years professional experience in community organizing, policy, advocacy, or neighborhood outreach. Other requirements include:
- Strong analytical, writing, and public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse religious, racial, and ethnic communities
- Desire to learn and open to challenge
- Individuals with knowledge of the Wyandotte county community
- A track record of building strong relationships and acting as a leader in highly collaborative settings
- Strategic thinking skills—the ability to figure out how to exponentially advance the work
- Drive and organizing—the ability to run multiple projects and pieces of work at the same time, problem-solve along the way, and keep everything moving forward.
- Experience working on immigration issues and directly working with immigrants and/or refugees
- Experience/comfort working with communities around social change issues
- This position is based in Wyandotte County; candidates must either reside in the Kansas City area, travel as needed.
Salary Range: Commensurate to experience
Send cover letter and resume via mail or email to:
El Centro, Inc.
650 Minnesota Ave.
Kansas City, Kansas 66101
All applicants will be reviewed by November 3, 2017 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
El Centro, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer