Jobs at El Centro
Community Organizer- Shawnee County
|FLSA Status: Non Exempt||Reports to: El Centro Topeka and El Centro KC’s Executive Directors|
|Geographical area: Topeka
|Date: August 2017|
Summary: The Community Organizer- Shawnee County will advance three primary goals: 1) the development and execution of winnable issue campaigns that are rooted in the experience of immigrant, Latino/Hispanic and low income communities, 2) the building of a grassroots and stakeholder base of people in Shawnee County who advance in their leadership pathway and secure gains for racial equity and opportunity, and 3) integrate civic engagement with focus on the new American electorate and programs like Deferred Action for Childhood (DACA), voter registration, engagement and Citizenship for long term power building in marginalized neighborhoods.
The position is grant funded for two years and will be based in Topeka and employee of El Centro Kansas City. This position will report to El Centro Topeka Executive Director in close collaboration with El Centro Kansas City Executive Director and community organizers.
|1||Organize small and large-scale informational and educational sessions for grassroots community and civic leaders, immigrant residents, El Centro clients, schools and staff on key campaign issues affecting the community, including but not limited to DACA, immigration, and voter registration.|
|2||Identify, develop, and train leaders to build powerful community and campaign teams.|
|3||Lead successful organizing campaigns that are rooted from community interests and priorities.|
|4||Design and implement civic engagement initiatives that last beyond any one voter cycle and grow the rising American electorate including voter registration, door to door education and GOTV rallies.|
|Execute clinics for citizenship, DACA and DAPA and voter registration that assist with application and financial barriers that prevent those from utilize these programs.|
|Develop and maintain strong communication within and outside of organization including inclusive language translation at community events and trainings|
|Carefully track individual campaign supporters and grassroots leaders through regular metrics reports and weekly data updates. Collect the Stories of our issues, people and fight!|
|8||Work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and partners|
|9||Develop tools for coalition and partner organizations to utilize in support of community interest and needs|
The candidate must be Spanish/English bilingual and should have a bachelor degree or advanced education and 2 years professional experience in community organizing, policy, advocacy, or neighborhood outreach. Other requirements include:
- Strong analytical, writing, and public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse religious, racial, and ethnic communities
- Desire to learn and openness to challenge
- Individuals with knowledge of the Topeka community
- A track record of building strong relationships and acting as a leader in highly collaborative settings
- Strategic thinking skills—the ability to figure out how to exponentially advance the work
- Drive and organizing—the ability to run multiple projects and pieces of work at the same time, problem-solve along the way, and keep everything moving forward.
- Experience working on immigration issues and directly working with immigrants and/or refugees
- Experience/comfort working with communities around social change issues
- This position is based in Topeka, candidates must either reside in the Topeka, travel to Topeka or willing to relocate quickly.
Salary Range: Commensurate to experience
Send cover letter and resume via mail or email to:
Lalo Munoz, Executive Director El Centro 134 NE Lake Topeka, Kansas 66616 email@example.com
All applicants will be reviewed by September 22, 2017 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
El Centro, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer